One pan meals are great simply because they have a lot less clean up. However I also like that often they can have a lot less standing over the stove cooking time than some other meals. One-pan Chicken & Rice Pilaf is exactly that. It is super easy to put together. You fry the chicken in the skillet to get that crispy golden skin, sauté some onions & garlic, then you put it in the oven and let it do it’s magic.
For this recipe you will need an oven safe skillet. Cast Iron is great if you have it but any skillet that is oven safe will do just fine.
One-Pan Chicken & Rice Pilaf has a wonderful lemon flavor to the rice. Being cooked with the chicken in the same pan it is full of chicken flavor as well.
If you want to add a little more flavor to your chicken you can even marinade the chicken overnight (see recipe notes)
Making it a Balanced Meal
To make this a well balanced meal I like to serve this meal with delicious greens usually Steamed broccoli with fresh grated Parmesan Cheese or Roasted Asparagus. They are both great options or choose your favorite vegetable side dish.
Other Chicken Recipes
One-Pan Chicken & Rice Pilaf
- Oven Safe Skillet
- 6 Chicken Thigh or Chicken Legs or combination of both
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 cup Rice uncooked
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Chicken Bouillon Option: may substitute Bouillon & Water for 2 cups of Chicken Stock instead
- 1/3 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Season Chicken with Salt & Pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in your oven safe pan. Cook chicken skin side down until golden brown – about 5 min. Flip chicken and cook on other side for another 5 min. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Add onion to the pan and cook until tender and lightly golden brown.
- Add the garlic and saute a minute until becomes fragrant. Add the rice to the pan and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the Chicken Bouillon to the water and mix well. Then add bouillon to the pan with the rice mixture. Let it simmer a minute then add the Lemon juice, Oregano and Thyme (and any remaining marinade if you did marinade the chicken) stir well.
- Add the chicken back into the pan. Cover and place in the oven. Bake for 50 min in the oven.
- Remove from oven and ready to serve immediately
I hope you all enjoy this delicious One pan meal as much as we do.
Looking for a great Chicken Bouillon? The one I use in my kitchen can be purchased at Tasty Kitchen Creations, our family company for Seasonings, Spices & Sauces.