I love using my Instant Pot on those busy nights when it seems I have so little time to get dinner on the table. It was one of those nights when I first made up this Instant Pot Curry Coconut Chicken recipe.
With just a few ingredients from the pantry and you can quickly get a delicious balanced meal on the table with ease. For Delicious Curry flavor I use Curry Powder from Tasty Kitchen Creations – my families production company. My mom has made this Curry Powder for a very long time when she was given the recipe from dear family friends from Trinidad. This Curry powder is absolutely delicious in this Curry Coconut Chicken recipe.
Can Curry Coconut Chicken be made on the stove?
Yes, Instant Pot Curry Coconut Chicken can be made on the stove and finished in the oven easily. It may take a little longer to bake in the oven than it takes in the Instant Pot. But when you are not crunched for time you may like to make it this way.
To make Curry Coconut chicken on the stove top you need a oven safe cooking skillet. We sear the chicken and sauté the onions and garlic before placing in the oven in the same skillet. Instead of setting the Instant pot to cook you will cover the skillet and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Serving a Balanced Meal
I like to create a balanced meal with Curry Coconut Chicken by simply serving it with seasoned rice. Which I make by adding Chicken Bouillon to rice while cooking it (if you haven’t tied this you really must. It just adds something to otherwise boring plain rice).
I like having a vegetable like Broccoli or Green beans with my Curry Coconut Chicken. But just add your favorite vegetable and you will have a perfectly balanced meal for you and your family.
Instant Pot Curry Coconut Chicken
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs skinless
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes 398ml
- 1 can Coconut Milk 400ml
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- Start the Instant Pot on sauté mode and let it heat up. Add the chicken pieces in small batches to just cover the bottom of the pot and seat them. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pot and then add the onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add the Curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes, just to warm up the seasoning and release that delicious aroma. Add the diced tomatoes to the pot and mix together
- Return all the chicken pieces to the Instant Pot. Put on the lid and set the vent to closed. Set the pot on manual pressure for 10 min. Once done use Quick release.
- Stir in the coconut milk and put on sauté mode for 2-3 min. Just enough to warm the coconut milk and thicken slightly.
- Serve with basmati rice or with Naan Bread.
I hope you all like this Curry Coconut Chicken recipe. It has turned into a family favorite around here.