Cooler weather of the fall calls for comfort food. This Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie recipe is perfect for this time of year it definitely is soothing on a cool day.
Slow cooker meals are perfect for busy days. I always use them on days when the kids have activities and we will be rushing to get in a healthy meal. I spend a few minutes in the morning dumping in the ingredients and dinner is ready when you get home. This slow cooker recipe needs a bit of attention about 30 min before being finished as you will have to shred the chicken and add the frozen veggies.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is almost like traditional Chicken Pot Pie only without the Pie crust. By making the herb drop biscuits to go along with it you will never miss the crust. I actually prefer it this way, and it’s a lot easier!
This recipe uses a homemade Cream of Chicken soup recipe. I have found that I like using homemade Cream soup to thicken recipes sometimes. Lets face it Cream of Chicken soup is not something I often have in my cupboard so when a recipe needs it I can easily whip some up with this recipe. That is what happened while making this Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie recipe the first time. If you prefer to use canned Cream of Chicken soup absolutely go for it.
Some of the seasonings I used in this recipe are from our family business Tasty Kitchen Creations. You can find them by following the links below.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie & Herb Drop Biscuits
- Slow Cooker
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 small Onion diced
- 3 ribs Celery diced
- 4 medium Carrots diced
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Chicken Bouillon try Tasty Kitchen Creations bouillon mix
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Corn frozen
- 1 cup Peas frozen
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 recipe Homemade Creamy Chicken Soup recipe Option – 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
Homemade Creamy Chicken Soup
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Chicken Bouillon try Tasty Kitchen Creations bouillons
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
Herb Drop Biscuits
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp Herb de Provence try Tasty Kitchen Creations Herb de Provence
Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
- In a small saucepan prepare the Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup: Melt the butter in saucepan, add flour, garlic powder & onion powder. Whisk together.
- In measuring cup whisk together Water and Chicken Bouillon then add gradually to the saucepan while whisking.
- Simmer until thickened. Set aside.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- In the Slow Cooker place the Onion, Celery, Carrots, Spices and Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup. Whisk together the Water & Bouillon and add to the Slow cooker. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Nestle the Chicken Breast into the mixture and make sure they are covered with the sauce.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or on Low for 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking time remove the Chicken Breasts and shred them with 2 forks. Return them to the slow cooker. Add the frozen Corn, Peas and the milk. Stir and finish cooking the remaining 30 minutes.
Herb Drop Biscuit
- Heat oven to 450°
- Cut shortening into flour, baking powder and salt with pastry blender (if you don't have one you can use 2 knives) until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in milk and Herb de Provence seasoning. Mix until well combined. Mixture will be moist and unable to kneed. If too dry just add a bit more milk (2-3 more Tbsp)
- Drop dough by spoonful onto lined cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. If desired brush with melted butter. Remove from cookie sheet immediately.
I hope you all enjoy this delicious cozy dinner.