It has been a great year for zucchini in my garden and I have an abundance of Zucchini. These aren’t small zucchini either, when I gave one to my neighbor yesterday she was shocked because they are about the size of a small baby! Zucchini Bars are the perfect way to use some of these big zucchini because you need 8 cups of diced zucchini for the filling of the bars.
I love these Zucchini Bars, my mom has made this recipe since I was young. You may however be quite surprised by them, because the Zucchini filling tastes like Apple Pie filling, not something made from zucchini.
The thing about zucchini is that it has such a neutral flavor that it takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with. Zucchini cooked with Apple Pie Spices takes on those flavors and comes out tasting like Apple Pie filling, and it is delicious!
I use Tasty Kitchen Creations Apple Pie Spice for this recipe. It is the perfect blend of spices to get that delicious Apple Pie filling flavor. Shop for it online by following the link.
Step By Step Picture Collage:
The Bars are easy to put together, one mixture is used as the crust, thickening mixture and the crumbly topping.
Crust & Crumble Mixture
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups raw cane sugar
- 8 cups zucchini peeled & seeded
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup raw cane sugar
- 3 tsp Apple Pie Spice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Mix flour, butter, salt and sugar for crust mixture together until crumbly.
- Press half of this mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Divide the remaining mixture into 2 bowls evenly
- Bake the crust for 10 min. Once baked allow crust to cool while preparing the filling
- Cook the zucchini and lemon juice together for approx 5 minutes or until zucchini is tender
- Add remaining sugar, Apple Pie Spice and one of the bowls of flour mixture to the pot and stir until slightly thickened.
- Spread the filling over the cooled crust.
- Spread the last remaining flour mixture over top of the filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
I hope you all enjoy these delicious ‘Apple Pie’ Zucchini Bars as much as my family does. They are great for the lunch kit or for snack time, or take them to a pot luck and see who can tell they are not Apples!