I would have to say that around here Spaghetti with Meat Sauce is one of this families favorite meals. Everyone loves it… and truly everyone loves it, every one of my kids ask for it regularly.
It is probably one of the only meals that really satisfies everyone in the house at one time. I have one kid that’s a meat lover and will often leave the rice or potato side. Another kid that’s the complete opposite and will eat the rice or pasta and leave the meat. Also, I have a teenager who is basically a flexitarian (she doesn’t like most meats) but even she will eat Spaghetti every time we have it. In fact it’s one of her favorite meals, she’s the one to ask for it the most. It’s just one of those classic meals that makes everyone happy.
I learned how to make Spaghetti with meat sauce probably when I was 13(ish). It was one of the first family meals I remember being able to help my mom make for dinner. I would often help her get dinner ready. Usually by putting what she had prepped into the oven to cook after school so it would be ready for dinner. Spaghetti, however is one that I quickly learned to make by myself – since I loved it so much.
Spaghetti sauce is easy to prepare, it can be served right away but it is even better if it has time to simmer on the stove for a while. The flavors just get to simmer together, so if I do have the time I will make it up earlier in the day and just let it simmer for an hour or so.
I will most often serve Spaghetti with Meat Sauce with a Side Caesar Salad, which is another one of those family favorites that everyone here just loves. It is a great way to balance the meal with added veggies in the salad.
If you want to add a variety to your Spaghetti sauce you can try alternative ground meats. We regularly have a beef/pork mix for our sauce but it is also really good with Turkey or chicken.
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef ground chicken or turkey also taste great
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup sweet peppers, diced use a mix of green, red, yellow & orange
- 3/4 cup mushrooms optional
- 2 Tbsp onion soup mix
- 1-680 ml can tomato sauce
- 1-156 ml can tomato paste
- 1- 796 ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz whole-wheat spaghetti noodles
- In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, brown ground beef until no pink is remaining. Add onions and peppers, saute until onions are translucent and peppers have softened. Next add the mushrooms if desired and saute another minute.
- Add the onion soup mix. stir to combine. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Let flavors simmer together for another few minutes.
- Season sauce with Thyme, Oregano, Basil and Salt & Pepper. Bring sauce just to a boil and add Tomato paste. Turn heat down and simmer the sauce for at least 15 minutes so the flavors of the herbs really have time to simmer into the sauce. The longer the sauce is left to simmer the better the flavor.
- While sauce is simmering cook pasta as directed on package
I do hope you all enjoy this classic family favorite