Today the kids went back to school after winter break so we are all getting back to routine after 2 weeks of the chaos of Christmas and holidays. We had many sweet treats over the holidays but now getting back to normal. I now also need to come up with healthy treats to send my kindergartner for snack time at school. This Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is always a hit – with her especially!
I personally do not like bananas in any way, shape or form! They have never been a fruit I have enjoyed, I have even tried them a few times recently, once in a smoothie when I was desperate as an attempt to increase my milk when nursing my youngest – let’s just say it it did not go well!! So I have to take the word of my family about the taste on this one but they all say they love it…..and of course, by the way it disappears, I can tell that they definitely do.
Frozen Bananas for Banana Bread
I have an abundance of bananas in my freezer right now. Whenever we have bananas that are getting just a bit ripe I throw them in the freezer, they are perfect for making banana bread. I pull them out of the freezer in the morning and within a couple of hours, they are thawed enough that I can mash them up no problem.
Using Greek yogurt in the recipe keeps the bread nice and moist without having to use butter or oils in it. I use my homemade Greek yogurt in this banana bread recipe.. It is also primarily sweetened with the natural sugar of Maple syrup and just a bit of added raw cane sugar and of course the chocolate chips. If you wish to leave out the chocolate chips you can put walnuts and a tsp of cinnamon for a different flavor.
Banana Bread Loaf OR Banana Bread Muffin’s
I make this Chocolate Chip Banana bread recipe in a regular loaf pan a lot of the time but I also quite often make it into muffins using a muffin tin or mini muffin pan or my Epicure perfect Petites pan. The smaller ones are perfect for tiny hands with toddlers and babies – my youngest was eating mini banana muffins around 10 months old, perfect for their little hands to grab. Also really easy to grab and pack in a snack bag or lunch kit for school, or serve it with a bowl of Greek yogurt and berries for a healthy balanced breakfast.
Healthy Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2-3 overripe bananas
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour white or whole wheat
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and grease non-stick loaf pan
- Place bananas in a mixer and whisk them up slightly to mash them up. Add Greek yogurt, maple syrup, sugar (if desired), vanilla and slightly beaten eggs to the mixer and beat together.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, and mix until completely blended. Add chocolate chips or walnuts if desired and mix just until blended.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and spread to level the mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked and a toothpick comes out clean, cool on a cooling rack for at least 10 min then remove from pan and cool before slicing.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. My kids can hardly wait for it to come out of the oven and get sliced up!